Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Maori vegetables: taewa and kamo kamo

The most popular post on my 'Maori Economy' blog is on the 'Physico-chemical and morphological characteristics of New Zealand Taewa (Maori potato) starches', which links through to a research paper investigating Maori potatoes for their starch properties.

The most popular search term has been 'kamo kamo', something I'm not growing this season (and regretting that decision...next year!). So, here's some pictures from when I last grew this ever popular, somehow defining Maori vege...



Alby Marsh, Plant and Food, is working on some research with Tahuri Whenua on Kamo kamo to prepare a kamo kamo worksheet which will involve interviews with growers across the country over the next 6 months.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How big does the Kamo Kamo squash vine grow. I'm growing one by mistake. It got into one of my winter squash
seeds packets. It grew very quickly at first, but growth is slow now. It's 2 1/2 foot long.